Licenses and Permits

Dog and Cat Licenses

Each year your dogs and cats must be licensed in the Village of Coon Valley.  Dog and Cat License renewals are due each year on or before March 31stLicenses can be obtained by bringing your pet's rabies vaccination certificate to the Village Office.  The fee to renew the license of a neutered or spayed animal is $3.00 (bring proof of spaying or neutering as well, if it is not listed on the rabies vaccination certificate).  The fee is $8.00 if your pet is not neutered or spayed.  

Licenses must be renewed on or before March 31st, within 30 days of acquiring a new pet, or as soon as your puppy or kitten can be vaccinated (puppies and kittens should be vaccinated against rabies within 30 days after reaching four months of age).

If you License your pet on or after April 1st, there is a $5.00 late fee added per pet on to the regular fee for licensing.  


Alcohol Licenses 

The purpose of alcohol licensing in the State of Wisconsin is to better ensure the public health and welfare of Wisconsin residents.  The State of Wisconsin requires all persons who vend, sell, deal or traffic intoxicating liquors or fermented malt beverages to be licensed with their local government. You may work as a bartender without a license as long as someone with a current license is within sight at all times.

All licenses require a background check and approval by the Village Board prior to issuance.  

Fee for an operator’s license is $20.00 which must be paid at the time the application is submitted and is non-refundable.

You can print the Operator License Application Form here:  Application for Operator's License 

Complete the application and return it to the Village office.  We will also need a copy of your driver’s license and a copy of your class certificate for the bartenders course.  An operator's license will be acted on during the next available Village Board meeting, so paperwork will need to be received in the Village Clerk's office prior to the posting of that month's agenda.  An operator's license is good for 1 year.

Important Dates to Remember:

June 30 - New licenses must be picked up by 4:30 PM

July 1 - New licensing year officially begins.  All licenses for the previous license year are now expired. 

Building Permits

Building permits are required for any work on your home or business that changes the structure and layout in any way.  For example, building permits are needed for decks, for remodeling which involves moving or removing walls, for additions, garages and other outdoor buildings.  Building permits are not required for roofing or replacing windows or doors as long as you are not changing the roof line or changing the size of the window.  

It is always best to check with the Village office.